Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Taught my first card class!

A couple months ago, the ladies at Paper Mermaids asked me to teach a card class! I was so honored and surprised that they asked me, and not to mention, deathly nervous.

My task was to design 4 cards using materials from their store. I wanted each card to have something different to it other than the sentiment, so my first card featured a heat-embossed sentiment, the second used glimmer glass and glimmer mist, the third involved tying a ribbon, and the fourth included an embossed element in the background. 

Here are the cards I designed for the class: 





I learned something very important. Unless you employ a sweatshop of 3 crafty ladies, you absolutely cannot cut, ink, or emboss all your materials the day of your class. I know, I know ... I thought it would only take a few hours. Who knew that all that prepwork would take an entire day! If the ladies hadn't stepped in ... eek ... Thank you Carol, Lisa, and Karen for all your help!! I owe you!! Next time around, I'll start cutting all my kits 2 or 3 days ahead of time. 

Well, the class was a success, and I believe everyone (including the semi-frazzled instructor) had a good time. The group was easy-going and everyone got along great. I wanted the ladies to learn something new with each card, so I had them apply their own glimmer glass, heat emboss their sentiment, and roll their cardstock through my Big Shot machine. Perhaps the best compliment of the day was being asked when my next card class was! Paper Mermaids got some fun Christmas paper in already, so my next designs may have a more fall- or Christmas-y kind of theme! Stay tuned, ladies. 

No comments: