Monday, February 13, 2012

Grungy Monday 36

Happy Monday!

Today's challenge over at Linda's blog is to make a Valentine-themed project using at least one Tim Holtz product or technique. Just for participating, Simon Says Stamp will give one lucky winner a $25 shopping spree to their online store! Woo hoo!

I'm happy to have a Valentine's Day challenge, as I had a V-Day project that I had to put on hold once we learned we were moving last month. (I had a grungepaper heart, set of wings, some die cut letters, and some movers and shapers dies that I set aside for a card challenge.) For today's Grungy Monday challenge, I thought I'd keep all of those elements, but rather than produce a card with them, I thought it would be fun to do something new: a wall hanging!


I applied Picket Fence Distress Stain to the grungepaper wings and the heart. When the stain dried, I applied Crackle Paint over both elements. I then applied Fired Brick Distress Stain over the heart, then applied liquid pearls around the edge. 

The letters are from Tim's "Once Upon a Time" die. I inked them with black soot then glued over some crochet and twill ribbon. I glued a few little Prima flowers and then tore off a piece of tissue tape that matches this month's dates.


Tim's rosette is probably one of his most recognizable dies ... so of course, I had to add one!


To create my little lovebirds, all I did was cut an extra movers and shapers birdie and flip it over so that it looks like they're kissing! I used a combination of Distress Ink, Distress Stain, Alcohol Inks, and finally Crackle Paint to get their aged look. As for the birdcage, I applied a thick coat of Paint Dabber all over. I then attached my lovebirds using a little hoop earring. Since I love tulle so much, I tied a little tulle ribbon over the earring.



Well, thank you so much for stopping by! I'm sorry the photo quality on my projects lately has been sub-par. My new craft room receives a fraction of the natural light I used to get on the coast -- so I'm trying to figure out if I need to invest in a bunch of lights or certain kinds of lights or a new camera or both ... How about you, what are you doing currently to take quality photos? Any tips on how to take decent photos when you don't have much natural light? Thanks again for looking, have a LOVEly week, everyone!

Supplies:

Grungepaper elements
Grungepaper
Liquid Pearls
Distress Ink
Distress Stain
Mini Rosette die
Movers & Shapers mini bird & cage die
Once Upon a Time die
Prima flowers
Crackle Paint

7 comments:

Paper Nurse said...

Very sweet Maria, thanks for sharing! Happy Valentines Day!

Sandra said...

Super stunning project!! My pictures are always poor, so I can't give you some advise I'm afraid!
Happy valentine's day

Gabrielle said...

I just wanted to say how much I love your little kissing birds on the cage. The whole piece is just gorgeous but I thought those birds were just a brilliant touch!
Photos are a tricky thing - one day I'll learn how to photo edit but I doubt I have the patience to learn! I'm waiting for summer so I can photograph my projects outside!

Maria said...

Thank you, ladies! And thank you for your comments about taking photos - Sannie, I think your photos turn out great, I am always amazed by your creations! And Gabrielle, I'm with you, I want to edit someday as well ...

Janna said...

Super cute!! I love this project!

anna christensen crafts said...

Gorgeous wall hanging Maria, loving those aged love birds! If you get any good advice on photography in poor light... pass it on. My photo's always let my projects down! xx

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Such a fabulous creation, wonderful details.