Tuesday, January 3, 2012

January Card Challenge #1

Happy New Year, everyone! I hope 2012 has been good to you so far. Do you have any resolutions, specifically, creative ones? Are you going to be as organized as Tim with his new storage line? Participate in more challenges?

Speaking of challenges, here is a card I made for my first challenge of the year. No rules or theme; all you have to do for this challenge is to make a card! I thought with Valentine's Day coming up, a love-themed card was a must.


I created the background using a mixture of Distress Stain and water. The tree image is a mask that I found at Whimzee's when I was in Portland a few weeks ago. I used Distress Stain to ink the image, then embossed it. I then spritzed the background with Glimmer Mist.

My picket fence was created using a Tim Holtz die from Paper Mermaids and some grungepaper. I used a mixture of Distress Stain, white acrylic paint, and Rock Candy to create its aged look.


All my flowers, except for the teal Prima one with the square Bo Bunny brad, were created using my Rose Creations die. This is probably my favorite Spellbinders die because I love flowers and I can create so many different kinds with this die!


I added some feathers and a grungepaper key.


My butterflies came from my Movers and Shapers die. I actually used a red Distress Stain for the base color ... doesn't it look more like a maroon? That's one of the neat things about grungepaper ... because of its porous, leather-y nature, the color of Distress Stain you use can look completely different when you apply it directly to your grungepaper. I stamped the butterflies with a Stamper's Anonymous stamp using purple Distress Stain, embossed the ink, and lightly inked the edges.


The result is one chunky card ... just the way I like them!


Thanks for looking, have a great day!!

Supplies:

Tim Holtz On The Edge die - Picket Fence
Tim Holtz Movers & Shapers die - Mini Butterflies
Donna Salazar - Rose Creations die
Crackle Paint
Distress Stain in Fired Brick, Picket Fence, and Vintage Photo
Distress Ink in Peeled Preserves, Peeled Paint, Gathered Twig, Chipped Sapphire, and Spun Sugar
Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist in Pearl
Bo Bunny brads
Grungepaper
Stampers Anonymous - Ultimate Grunge stamps
Prima flower
The Crafter's Workshop - 6x6 template

6 comments:

Sandra said...

What a lovely card! Love the dimensions. It's so colorful and happy! It brought a smile to my face.
My creative resolution is to follow more workshops.

Maria said...

Aw, thank you, Sannie! That is a great resolution! I want to do the same ... there is so much out there to learn!

LISA said...

Hi Maria,
Thank you for your kind words and the love you left on my blog. I am loving what I see on yours, so now...I'm gonna follow you!! Love love love your mini book!! It has inspired me to do one of my own!! And your flower ornaments are beautiful!! I could go on and on. Cant wait to see your work this year!!
Hugs,
Lisa

Maria said...

AWwww, thank you soo much, Lisa!! Seriously, you are a rock star and my favorite layout artist -- I remember bookmarking all of these layouts of yours and studying all the detail, because I have never seen such gorgeous layouts before! Your work inspires the heck out of me and I hope to create a layout 1/100th as gorgeous as yours some day!! (LO's are my weakness ... :( And thank you so much for the sweet words and encouragement, I am so tickled and happy right now!!!

anna christensen crafts said...

As ever, I love your work. This is a really beautiful card Maria

Maria said...

Aw Anna, you are so kind!! Thank you for the sweet words, that inspires ME to do the best I can! Hope your New Year is going well so far!