Thursday, April 19, 2012

April 2012 Girlie Grunge Challenge

Good morning! The monthly challenge over at Donna Salazar's Girlie Grunge Ning is to create either a layout or off the page project about YOU! This was definitely a challenging project, as I stink at layouts and don't like pictures of myself. I started out making a layout featuring a picture of my sister and I but couldn't stand it, so I started over and decided to alter a paper mache book instead!


I love flowers ... and I've been meaning to make something to store all the flowers I collect, so this challenge ended up working out perfectly! I added the title "Flower Child" to the cover, since the other challenge requirement was to include a title or journaling that best described you. :) The other term I would've used to describe myself is "Chronic Sweet Tooth" ... if in the unlikely event I have enough time I might make a second attempt at this challenge! Back to the project. 

To create the paper mache book, I painted the entire book with one coat of white acrylic paint. Then, I inked the edges with brown distress stain. I applied Donna's Mix'd Media Inx in "Peaches" over some of the brown ink to add a slight bit of color to the rest of the book. 


I love how the book looks when it's lying down. It's so chunky!



For the cover, I used Donna's pretty "Spring in Bloom" paper, one of her new coordinating stamps, and her adorable Spellbinders Bitty Blossoms die. When I first saw this die, I just melted - see what I mean? I love flowers!! 


And I did add a photo ... on the inside. It's a picture of my sister and I right before we saw Snow Patrol perform at the Roseland Theater many moons ago. You can't see it, but I wrote the old adage "April showers brings May flowers" under our photo, as both our birthdays are in May! 



Thanks for looking!

2 comments:

Sandra said...

Wow, love your altered book! It's gorgeous. Love the vintage white look and all the flowers on it. And you're ThumbLinky account is now activated :).

Hugs,
Sandra

Terry said...

You know, I actually have that book and have wanted to do something with it for a long time! What a pretty alteration! Love this!