Thursday, December 1, 2011

Tim Holtz: 12 Tags of Christmas - Tag #1 (Warm up)

Have you seen Tim Holtz's first tag of his annual 12 Tags of Christmas yet? If you haven't, you gotta head over to his blog right now and check it out! It's absolutely stunning! The colors, the glimmer, the glamorous grunge ... I love it all!

Since I love a challenge, I thought I'd play along with the event! I don't have a huge amount of Tim products in terms of stamps and tag dies, so I'm going to do my best using as much Tim Holtz products as possible. I'll allow myself to use other brands' stamps and tag dies only if I really need them.

Here is my first Tim Holtz Christmas tag:


First, I grabbed a piece of cardboard and ripped off the top layer to expose the corrugated texture underneath. I ran it through my Big Shot using my Movers & Shapers Styled Labels die. Then, I applied Black Soot distress ink to the edges, followed by some Crackle Paint.

I then embossed some cream-colored cardstock with my Holiday Garland embossing folder from the Joy embossing set. I applied Distress Stain in Forest Moss over the holly, inked it with Pine Needle Distress Ink, then added some Stickles in Pine Needle. A healthy dose of Rock Candy was splattered on top. :)


I ran more cardstock through my Big Shot using my Sewing Room die. I inked up the spool using Black Soot and Gathered Twig, then applied Crackle Accents to both the sewing spool and button. Baker's twine that I received with an Etsy purchase was tied around my spool. How I love re-using things!


The sentiment was stamped on a brown paper bag and cut out using a Spellbinders die. I distressed the edges using Black Soot and Gathered Twig ink and applied a little glimmer mist for a fine sheen. I then attached 4 black brads and a piece of metal wire with a bead that I had hanging around.


There you have it! I know it doesn't look a THING like Tim's, but that's okay! I'm probably gonna be a couple days behind on his tags ... Thanks for looking and happy crafting!

3 comments:

Sara said...

I really like this tag/ornament too. I love that you went outside the box!

anna christensen crafts said...

Ooh - this is great - I shall hunt out my sewing room die - you have inspired me! thank you

Maria said...

Thanks, Anna! I love how Tim is encouraging everyone to use what they have -- and I love how we're getting inspiration from one another, like your gorgeous Townscape tag!!