Thursday, May 24, 2012

May 2012 Girlie Grunge Challenge

Hi again!

This month's challenge over at Donna Salazar's Girlie Grunge site is centered around this lovely sketch from Mistra, one of Donna's new design team members. If you're like me (layout challenged), sketches are a great way to get your ideas flowing on a 12 x 12 page. I checked out Mistra's sketch blog and she has some of the prettiest sketches! If you ever need some layout inspiration, check out Mistra's blog here.


While I thoroughly do not enjoy creating layouts, I loved Mistra's beautiful sketch so much that I gave it a try. Even though her sketch only includes one photo, I thought I would include a few others to help tell the story behind the main photo I chose. My sister turned 27 a couple weekends ago, so to celebrate, my husband and I took her out for a fun day in Seattle. We had two birthday prizes for her, but in order to "win" them, we made her complete a couple tasks. The first task was to kiss a fish at Pike Place Market. (Am I still the evil older sister? In some ways, yes. >:)  

I loved how one of the guys totally played along with us! He picked up the biggest, slimiest salmon and lunged it at my baby sister. The look on her face was priceless - and thank God, I managed to capture it! >:) 


On a side note, I made those big white dogwood-ish flowers with Donna's Rose Creations die. The red rosettes are from her Bitty Blossoms die, both from Spellbinders. The smaller white flowers are also from Donna's Rose Creations. I did some light distressing on my page with my Distrezz-It-All and used Donna's "Spring in Bloom" paper. I tried to follow Mistra's sketch as close as possible, but made a few changes, including moving the journaling area to the lower right of the page.

Thanks for looking!



2 comments:

Marisa Job said...

Great Layout Maria!! Love it! And the pictures are so funny! Hugs!

Sandra said...

LOL, what a great story and what a beautiful layout! Stunning!